Friday, August 30, 2019

Three Tail Tales

I have been really intending to write this for a long time now, almost about 3 days to be precise, but procrastination coupled with my supreme lethargy always always wins.
A few days back, as in 3 days back the world celebrated International Dog Day, and, I must confess that I have not come across a single dog, who didn't extend their cushy-paws if I have put my hand in front!
Tommie, an Alsatian, was the first living being I saw that was even smaller in size than I was at the age of 4, and, he, 21 days. I remember seeing him for the first time after returning from school. It is, in my opinion, my first memory, which eventually I have also realised is my first memory of feeling an emotion. Feeling of happiness and joy. The only one younger to me and Priyanka De in the entire house was Tommie. He was our LIVE toy!
Within months, even though younger to us, he outgrew both of us, and then became more a friend than a toy. We would sit around him for hours. We played together. We all got drenched while he was bathed. We checked his plate while we ate and so on. But, with such a built and deafeningly bold bark, he was perceived as intimidating over the actual fun giant that he was. Till date, whenever I remember him, I sincerely wish that all those who were intimidated, could have just gathered a bit more courage to pat his head, and he would have turned into a fur ball in a blink.
But that's all gone alright! I still remember him. He would definitely remain my first and last memory of knowing a living being so closely. He will forever be our first LIVE toy. He shall forever be my lesson to know that love once gone is gone forever.
... After almost a decade, came another love burst with a more docile demeanor. If I ever had a ‘Lethargy Lord’, he shall be the one - Nanu! This beige fur mat barked only when he heard the shriek of the gate in the evening, when my uncle returned home from work. Otherwise, he would never bark, at none. Every vendors, who came to our house couldn't resist petting him for his super-high adorable quotient and a 'patient ear'. Every sabjiwali would talk to him about how difficult it is to charge any less for the vegetables while our grandmom (Dida) would haggle till the last penny. He would look assuringly at everybody speaking to him, resting his face between his paws, rolling from one side to another, faking an alert ear, and then walked away if the conversation tend to be lengthy.
Peace and calm seemed to have gotten their meaning from him. He was so peaceful (read lethargic) that when the house-help came to mop the floor, he didn’t move an inch. He was slided from one spot to another. He was our fur mat on chilly nights. He was our Dida's company to the cow shed every morning. He was our 'Pawed Zen'. He was too quiet to even let us know that while he was walking away into the Sal garden at dusk, wagging his tail, he sought a different world and let the ‘Thunderous Jimmy’ take over.
Jimmy made his way into the verandah through the garden. Almost for about a week, he would come running from nowhere when Dida was in the garden. He would run around, be playful, bark at butterflies and then stare at fallen flowers. For such a lively company, Dida considered it only humane to acknowledge her presence by feeding 2 chapatis and milk. For a week, she would lick the bowl clean and leave, until the day she didn't leave. She stayed. Stayed back and gave birth to 6 adorable beige, black and white buttons. Thunderous as she was, Dida was little apprehensive about going close to her that morning, and I ran to the outhouse where she sat tired and proud. I stood at the door clueless with joy for about a minute and then slowly stepped towards her wondering whether or not to step nearer. As I squat a few meters away, with the slightest ounce of energy left in her, she cubbed each of those button between her jaws and put them in front of me and stared as if to say, ‘here they are’! I took each of those button in my hand and patted them wondering if it was a dream!
Till the last day on earth, if I have to answer whether or not I have experienced heaven on earth. I without a doubt have my answer ready.
To Tommie, Nanu and Jimmie... be wherever you are, be the one you are!

No comments:

Powered By Blogger